Thursday, August 28, 2014

VON VIENNA, AUSTRIA NACH MUNICH, GERMANY – July 2014

Munich  (or “München” in Germany) Bier and soccer

My third home, Munich, was alive with soccer fever when I was there during the 2014 World Cup.  Germany had just beaten Brazil (7-1) and was preparing for its final game against Argentina.  People were jubilant and beamed with national pride.  It is awesome to be in Europe, especially in Germany, during any soccer championships, but especially so during the World Cup.  Wherever I turned, German flags hung from every window, doorway and street sign in Munich.  They also flew proudly out of car windows as Germany awaited the final and deciding game of the World Cup.  Even the tourists who were there could not help but get caught up in the excitement of the atmosphere, as they too donned German flags painted on their faces and wore soccer jerseys.  Europeans can be fanatical about soccer and Germans were ecstatic about their big when over Argentina in the World Cup 2014 final game.  I was happy to be part of the atmosphere. 
Outdoor life is a very big part of German culture.  Bicycle riding is a favourite pastime and good way to get around.  Old and young people ride bikes everywhere.  The streets are also very bike friendly, with bike paths assigned for bicycle riders.  I love going on bike rides when I’m in Germany and my husband always makes sure to find a new scenic path for us cycle.

The biergartens are an inviting venue for families to gather for food and fun, and you can easily spend several hours eating, drinking and talking without realizing.  I went to the Augustine Biergarten, which is one of the oldest biergartens in Munich.  It holds over 5,000 seats in an open area shaded by many chestnut trees.  Biergartens are common all over Bavaria and are a big part of the landscape of the state.  I enjoyed the outdoor atmosphere that is also kid friendly and was very relaxing for adults.
Weiss wursts with pretzels (or brezens) are a favourite Bavarian food.  Most Bavarians eat the wursts shortly after they are made (this is when they are at their best quality).  This is not something that they typically store for future use although it is available at most Bavaria restaurants.  I don’t eat wursts but I tried a miscroscopic piece once.  I usually stick with pretzels and sweet mustard.  So yummy!  I also love the salads in Germany.  The vegetables are always extremely fresh and the salad dressing, which is not fussy, is some of the best I’ve tasted anywhere in the world.  Schnitzel, grilled chicken, fries and bier are heavily consumed.  This is true of the latter three especially during Oktoberfest, where they are the most consumed foods.  I’ve had the grilled chicken and fries and they are both very good.  The chicken is always grilled to perfection.  It is normal to drink, at a minimum, one whole stein (about 1 litre) of beer although some people can easily drink two or three steins.  Not being so much of a beer drinker anymore, I could barely finish one stein, but I did it.

The Danube River flows through Bavaria and is a place where people gather on its banks to hang out.  My husband took me on a long walk along the Danube (through Ingolstadt) and it was very serene.  The water is therapeutic as it flows along the banks and listening to the sound the ripples make is very relaxing.  I love Sundays in Germany because it’s the day that’s most peaceful.  Almost all businesses are closed and people generally attend church and take it easy on Sundays. 
Written by Screenname TriniTravelDiva (a.k.a. NSL-R) on 8/2/14 . All photos taken by and are property of TriniTravelDiva (a.k.a. NSL-R)

No comments: