Thursday, July 30, 2009

MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCES WITH . . .

Alas, the days of my "being single" travel and "being single" travel behaviour are behind me. Now I get to experience some old, favourite travel spots with a new twist and I'm sure with new meaning. I have traveled with family, with girlfriends, and alone, and each time the experiences were different. But in the near future I expect to have many new experiences and build on some old ones with my husband, who also loves to travel, and who also insists that we make many, many memories together. After all, travel to me is a way to experience different things, but mostly to make memories.

Travel with family can sometimes be stressful, but they're family and, well, what more can I say. When I travel with my family, I tend to be the leader and the one who takes care of things. Sometimes I do so by choice, other times by necessity. I would love to be able to sit back and enjoy the ride from beginning to end, but all eyes are usually on me to make the necessary preparations and fix things when they go wrong. After the logistics are taken care of, only then can I start to relax and enjoy. But all in all, it's nice to travel with family and share those memories together. I might be stuck with this kind of travel.

Travel with girlfriends was always an adventure and sometimes unpredictable. My girlfriends and I have travelled extensively together. We've checked out some of the world's best known monuments, stay at some really nice and really bad hotels, hung out at bars and nightclubs, ate at really good restaurants, did lots of shopping and always had a blast. We've been stared at and awed in so many places that sometimes we felt like we were an attraction. People have gravitated to us while other just checked us out from afar. We've drawn crowds like we were "rock stars" in Rome, Venice, Paris and Barcelona. Together with them, I've met people from all around the world. Some of them I've kept in touch with and others, although they have long since been forgotten, the memories remain. There is a chance, however small, that this kind of travel can still happen. (:

Travel alone was yet a different kind of experience. I'm a free spirit and I have a very outgoing personality. This combination has gotten me first class treatment at, on flights, free stays in hotels and resorts, free drinks and vip treatment at bars and restaurants and special attention when shopping. I loved travel by myself because I could make my own schedule and did not have to coordinate with anyone. I did what I wanted, when I wanted and for how long I chose. I did not have to worry that someone would cancel the trip at the last moment or that they would be difficult in a different environment or culture. Best of all, I could choose to go wherever I wanted without the worry that someone else may not want to go there. Although, there many was times when I wished there was someone to share some of the experiences that are now very meaningful to me. I imagine that this kind of travel is now a thing of the past.

Travel with my husband so far has been good. We have not yet traveled extensively together, but we both expect that will change very soon. I'm really looking forward to putting a new and exciting touch on some of the experiences I've already had. I'm mostly looking forward to us making some brand new experience and memories together. I'm looking forward to sharing fun moments, but mostly romantic moments with him. I can already imagine us walking along a beach at sunrise…oh wait, if he has anything to say about it…sunset, holding hands and enjoying each other. I can also imagine spending time during the winter in a lodge somewhere in the Germany or Austria with him being more outdoors than I would like and us being indoors near a fireplace. He loves to take care of me and I allow him to do so. I am so looking forward to this kind of travel. (:

Whatever kind of travel your fits your lifestyle, just be sure to make the best of it and create memories that will last a lifetime. Always, always hire common sense and your instinct and let them be your guides. They cost nothing!

Written and posted by TriniDiva on 7/30/09

No comments: